Today after a long break I finally finished the basic version of my big album of beers search page. For over a year now I’ve been photographing every beer I drink and putting it into a Facebook album called the big album of beers. As this album has grown it has gotten sometimes difficult when looking for new beers to remember if I’ve already had the particular beer. This is compounded often by hazy memories of having the beer in the first place.
For those who are interested, here’s the technical details:
All the code is available at: https://github.com/skorulis/blackbird
1. I don’t have to deal with authorisation tokens and logins on the web page. My ruby script doesn’t need code for this, when I want to update the list I simply get a new token from the Facebook graph explorer.
2. If the beer text doesn’t fit my expected formatting the ruby script will crash and I can work through any problems until it works, if this was online the page would break every time I put in a bad title for a beer.
1. The search can be a bit slow and since it’s on the UI thread causes a pause on the page. It’s acceptable right now but I would prefer to kick this onto a background thread. I’m sure this is possible but is going to be more effort than it should be.
Next steps are to add a details page for each beer to keep a bit more information when I have it. Also some more detailed filters would be nice and possibly a sort order.